What is this program about?
This dual credit program consists of four Industry pathways:
- Automotive Service Technician
- Heavy Duty/Commercial Transport Technician
- Motorcycle Technician
These courses have been developed to offer participants exposure to real industry experiences. This program offers the latest technology concepts which today’s employers are demanding from their workforce. Take a test drive and find out what awaits for your future.
What do students earn if they take this program?
- Students will earn 16 credits after successful completion of the program which will be applied to their Dogwood Diploma as four individual, grade 12 elective courses and
- Twelve credits from Thompson Rivers University which can be applied towards a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of General Studies degree.
Benefits to Students
Why should students take this program?
The Mechanical Sampler is a unique opportunity to sample, test, and experience four trades in a short amount of time. Taking the Sampler will allow you to:
- Make informed choices for yourself and your future. Before investing time and money or making assumptions about the trades, you will know:
- If you like the trade and if it’s for you;
- What the trade is about – skills, expectations, job requirements, rigor and future training opportunities.
- Experience the program through 20% theory and 80% hands-on work;
- Be taught by a Red Seal Instructor who has experience in the trade, will help guide you through the trade and will provide you with real-life experience inside the classroom and on site;
- Obtain advanced credit from TRU while still in high school;
- Maintain your home school status in order to play sports for and graduate from your home school.
If you are open to learning new skills, open to new ideas or know trades are in your future, the Mechanical Sampler is for you. The Sampler is risk free and an opportunity to invest in your education practically!
Mechanical Sampler Courses
Automotive Service Technician
This 120 hour course is intended to introduce students to specific trades training in the area of Automotive Service Technician (AST). Course content will be delivered by a Red Seal Certified AST Instructor. The course will provide students with an overview of the Foundations program and focus on the practices and skill sets needed for the Mechanical Trade. Units of study will include:
- Engine Management
- Support Systems
Heavy Duty/Commercial Transport Mechanic
This 120 hour course will explore safe work practices in a Mechanical/Instructional facility and focus on the Foundation training content and job ready expectations for Heavy Duty-Commercial Transport Technician. Units of study will include:
- Engine management
- Support Systems
This 120 hour course is intended to introduce students to specific trades training in the area of Motorcycle Technician. Course content will be delivered by a Red Seal Certified Mechanical Trade Teacher/Instructor and will provide students with an overview of the Foundations Motorcycle Technician program. Units of study will include:
- Steering/ Suspension/Frame
- Fuel injection
- Ignition systems
- Charging systems
- Cooling systems
- Lubrication systems
This 120 hour course will introduce students to specific trades training in the area of Welding Level C. Course content will be delivered by a Red Seal Certified Welding Teacher/Instructor. This will provide students with an overview of the Foundations Welding Program. Units of study will include:
- Oxy-Fuel Cutting/Welding
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Fitting – Capstone project